.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

columbus represent

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Blood, and ONLY Blood, Saves

I can't seem to get my jaw off of my chest. I am sitting here, mouth agape in horror at the newest ads being run by the Red Cross in an effort to get more young people to give blood. Please take a moment and watch the t.v. ads (click on the little tv in the upper right hand corner). I'll wait......

OK. See what I mean? WTF? The message: Young people, don't bother trying to take on any complex social issue that it plaguing our world. If you do, you will only end up making things worse. Ease your conscious, and do actual good by giving blood. If you try anything more complicated, you will: kill the forests, thwart efforts to eradicate AIDS, make kids lose their health insurance, and force monkeys to box (?). I read about this at Slate.com, which only gives the ad a C+, due to the author's support for the cause of giving blood. I hear ya, it's an important issue, but I still give this ad an F-. Come on Red Cross, you really think the best way to get young folks to give blood is by insulting their intelligence, and exploiting their compassion for issues other than yours? Their message is not "give blood" in addition to addressing the fucked up state of our world and the exploitation that happens in it. Their message is "give blood and DO NOTHING ELSE." I'd love to hear what you all think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. those ads really suck. they are horrible! why does the red cross feel like they have to be such reactionary fuckers inorder to do the work they do/get theirs? shit like that is why i always feel extreme misgivings about giving the redcross a penny, even though they do integral work during national and international disasters.

7:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker