.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

columbus represent

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Coming Clean

No this post isn't about my latest colonoscopy, but it is about something that might end up being nearly as painful. I came out at work. That is to say, that I admitted to having Crohn's disease, and all of the fun "extras" that come along with it (bursitis, tendonitis, chronic pain and joint problems). When I was first diagnosed, I could never understand the position that some people took to NOT tell those around them what was going on. In fact, the first person who I met after my diagnosis who had Crohn's, my "Crohn's mentor," worked at a university, helping disabled students make their way through their college years. She was a staunch advocate for their rights as students, but never told any of her workmates that she had any disease herself. They would puzzle when she was obviously in distress, and they didn't know why, but she remained mute. I couldn't understand WHY she would keep silent like that. But as my experience in the workplace expanded, and I saw why the ADA is necessary, and found myself needing to meet with lawyers about my rights as a worker with a "disability," I decided that at my new job, I didn't want to face the conscious and subconscious judgment of ability that happens when people know that you have a chronic illness. At other jobs, I had naively thought that people would judge my ability based on, well, my actual ability. Turns out that people's perception of my ability was what prevailed at the end of the day, not my work, not anything I was producing or not producing. So this time around, I thought: Screw it, I don't need the hassle.

So why have I decided to let the world in on my "secret"? I've been preparing myself over the past few weeks to meet with disability rights groups as a part of my new job. I've been reading literature from groups like ADAPT, and others who have great sayings like: "I'd rather die in prison than live in a nursing home" or; "Danger, defective on the loose." In other words, groups who are proud and loud. It got me thinking about my "disability" that I don't think of as being a disability. I am covered under the ADA, I do face people's ignorance and judgment based on their perceptions, just like the people I'm reading about who are shouting about their rights from the rooftops. I'm trying to get around those problems by "passing." That is to say: I'm not in a wheelchair, I don't have any adaptive device that I use on a daily basis where people can tell right off the bat that I have obstacles to face due to health issues. In fact, on days when I can barely walk and I have to break out my cane, I was only using it until I entered a hallway where I knew a person was present, at which point I would whip my cane under my arm, pull my face into a smile and walk as assuredly and hurriedly past them as possible, until I rounded the corner, and could lean on it once again.

So, I can pass when needed, but it begs the question: just because I can pass, does it mean that I should? When I go to meet with these disability groups, do I tell them in order to gain their trust, while keeping silent to those around me? Just because I don't think of myself as having a disability, does that really matter? I know that many people who are immediately identified as disabled don't think of themselves that way either, but they still have to face the obstacles of other's opinions. Which brought me back to my mentor. She eventually came out to her workmates as well. What caused her to change her mind? The students she worked with who had disabilities. When they found out that she too had one, and had been keeping silent about it, while encouraging them in the process to push for their own rights, they felt betrayed. And I knew what I had to do. The next day I went out to lunch with my supervisor and laid it all on the line. No big deal, this is what I'm dealing with, this is what I might need from time to time, and this is why I haven't said anything up to this point. He seemed fine with it, and there we are. Who knows what will happen down the line if for example I have a really bad flare, and people around the office start to chatter (or, like in other offices, people might start to chatter even without a flare). I may not be a "Freedom Fighter" just yet, but at least I don't feel like a hypocrite.

4 Comments:

Blogger iomi said...

I say you do exactly what you want and exactly what you feel comfortable with.

This is similar in a small way to the racist elbow... I used to sit at work and listen to the horrifically offensive chatter while people thought we were having a "just us" moment. I would go home at the end of the day feeling sick to my stomach about it, annoyed and angry at myself for not having said anything, fearing the repercussions if I DID say anything, and angry at others for putting me in the position where I had to be implicit in their idiocy by remaining silent.

In the end, I felt a couple of different ways about it. 1) it's not worth saying something to people whose minds will absolutely not be changed no matter how much logic you throw in their faces, and 2) it's not worth making my work life hell just to make a point to a bunch of morons. On the other hand, I realized that the people being talked about (gay, biracial, non-english speaking, old, young, ill, whatever- the whole gamut of bigotry) shouldn't have to shoulder the entire burden of explanation on their own, and at the end of the day, the fact was that they would NEVER hear what was being said about them, because they were never there during the "just us" moments. *I* was the one who was there, who had the opportunity to hear it all, and I, as a white, educated woman of some privilege, was hearing it all. Therefore, I was the one who had a responsibility to say something, if only just to ease the burden of explanation and debunking stupid myths a tiny bit.

In the end, I chose my moments wisely and got in a few well-placed jabs against the ding-dongs who would chatter in my office, and then I quit. I couldn't deal with the stomach aches every day.

11:38 AM

 
Blogger xine said...

acutally today through research for work, I have come across a term: "hidden disability" and a fact sheet on it that discusses the unique circunstances for people in these situations, and their workmates. I mean if you are using an obvious assistive device and someone says something about you, at least from an outsiders perspective its like: F-U!!!!! you ignorant prick. you know? there is a little more "understanding" that needs to happen by both the full public AS WELL AS and maybe most importantly by those who are living it, with the HD, to accept the situation as is, what can be done to accomodate, and then just do it without such massive amounts of guilt on the one side, and "yeah right" on the other side.

2:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been struggling recently on how to acknowledge my cancer as i live in remission and encounter people who have no idea what i've been through recently, and continue to go through on weeks when i disappear from the non-cancer world. I'd be curious to see this HD fact sheet. i was with my boss when they found my tumor, so obviously i am quite out at my job, which has been wonderful in terms of support, but obviously reticent about helping me get back to my old work. i admit that i am unmotivated after a year's "vacation" from work, but there are definitely some at work who actively push me to do as little as possible, which is, frankly, absurd. i can't wait until they get over the fact that i have cancer and stop thinking about it every time they see me or hear my name. i have a perverse need for everyone to know my medical history, but i have an equally strong need for it not to matter. we'll see how that works out for me. in the meantime--good luck to you.

5:06 PM

 
Blogger xine said...

yeah for solidarity! you rock so hard Rose. I too feel like shouting it from the rooftops, because how do you realistically go through your days with an underlying, ever present secret that rears its ugly head from time to time, or every day, and keep your lips sealed? BUT i think that now i've "come clean" I feel even more pressure to be stoic and suck it up and not let on AT ALL that this is affecting me. I think I do a pretty good job of it: going outside if I can't take it and have to cry, or wait until I'm alone in my office and wince all the fuck I want (which is not the best option, people do sometimes pass and are all; Oh my god, are you alright?) such a weird thing....
the fact sheet can be found at http://charityadvantage.com/leap/images/Accommodating%20Employees%20with%20Hidden%20Disabilities.PDF

5:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker